The Statistical Analysis System (SAS) is one of the most common and effective methods used in data analysis and statistical modelling. It is one of the fastest and most robust advanced analytics, multivariate analysis, business intelligence, data mining, data management, report writing, statistical analysis, application development, business modeling, and data warehousing software. SAS is an asset in various labor markets, as it holds the largest market share in advanced analytics jobs.
Position of SAS in the healthcare sector:
SAS is extensively used in the pharmaceutical and clinical research companies for clinical trial data analysis. SAS programmers play a key role in the study of data from clinical trials.
• A SAS programmer addresses the Healthcare industry's technical needs.
• Implementation of information technology in the healthcare delivery system helps gain valuable knowledge
from data, and insight in recommending action or guiding decision-making, and improving the quality and
practice of medicine in patient care.
• SAS analytical tools help accomplish corporate goals related to revenue generation, cost reduction, and
strategic performance management in healthcare.
• To improve the overall quality of patient care, SAS instruments are used to investigate clinical outcomes
and risk tolerances.
Role of SAS Developer:
Statisticians provide data analysis tools, apply analytical methods on the data obtained, and provide statisticians and or clinicians with the research overview tables, graphs, and data listing for writing study report.
SAS programmers work closely with statisticians and data managers to connect the raw data to the analysis.
SAS programmers can build the database in only a few businesses. To read database data to SAS data sets, SAS programmers must write programs and also generate a library of SAS formats.
SAS programmers can also write SAS programs to clean the data from the database according to CDM's edit requirements.
Through identifying the clinical trial to regulatory approval, SAS plays a significant role. The report for the clinical trial is compiled using the data produced in the SAS context.
SAS also plays a role in the development of protocols, the randomization process, developing CRFs, recording adverse events etc.
Future in SAS:
• Over the last few decades, the clinical SAS programming industry in India has seen rapid germination and
the trend appears to continue for the next few years due to cost advantage and the availability of skilled
• Because of the growing demand for professional services, programmers' desires have taken a different turn
towards diversifying access, excessive wage growth due to various incentives and high expectations of
• SAS analytics skills are, according to a recent survey, the most important skills to acquire in today's job
market. The conventional health care model extends the career opportunities for SAS programmers. SAS has
become a valuable tool to gage the current state and future vision of healthcare analytics.
• While inside the SAS programming environment there were a number of professionals working, they did
everything but code. Another interesting fact about this data analytical tool is that most of the
professionals who actually worked with it, were not Data Scientists, they actually weren't even Data
Analysts. They were also the decision-makers, the highest tier of the companies who were responsible for
making decisions and would rather have to code for them a qualified specialist to help them accomplish
• Fast forward to today when the Data Science industry's SAS programmers get paid out as handsomely as ever.
Over the last two , three decades, a Data Analyst's average annual compensation has risen twofold to nearly
threefold. Because the compensation has increased, the obligations a specialist needs to take care of have
not. Compared to those who have worked with SAS codes in the past , today there is a substantial increase
in both the demands and roles of today's professionals. Today, SAS programmers are doing much more than
just coding today, with the advent of big data , data science and big data analytics concepts.
• Now that we've effectively overcome our past and current questions about SAS programming status, let's
concentrate more on the future of SAS programming. Over the last few years, the demand for this career
option has increased significantly. Most importantly, this has resulted in such a progressive image is the
knowledge of SAS programming and the field of data science. SAS is popularly regarded as one of the
industry's most popular data analytics tools. At the same time, it is also a licensed program which means
that downloading is not free or easy. This is why many businesses this opt for SAS must buy the license to
use the same.
• Although there are those who say it's a wonderful opportunity to work with SAS and the
future looks pretty promising for the same. At the same time, however, there are several questions about the
use of open sourced data analytics resources such as R programming. So much so that there are lots of
professionals who are currently employed with SAS but are still expected to work inside R. It may seem like
a threat to the future of SAS programming but then again there may be far less chances of a survival